Interview at Pitt

This morning, I woke up and got shower, and got ready to go to Pitt. I was so excited. I left the house and drove to IKEA to hop on the 28X. I was so confident that I would do well on this interview, and I would have a real chance at this position. The bus ride in was a little rough, when I arrived in Oakland. I stood up when my stop was close, and lost my balance. I bumped into a hard surface and now have this bump on my leg and it is black and blue. It did hurt at first, but I had to shake it off.
When I got off the bus, I went to Starbucks and wanted to use my free drink reward, but the app on my phone wouldn’t work, but I still paid for everything, mishap number 2. When I arrived into the cathedral, I saw our favorite campus police officer, and my coffee girl, Marilyn at the fake Starbucks. They both wished me well and gave me a hug.
When I arrived on to Drew’s floor, I handed him his muffin, kissed him, and he wished me luck. I told him about what happened on the bus and he felt bad for me, and how my app at Starbucks wouldn’t work, and that I had to pay for everything, and couldn’t use my free drink. He was cool with it, and understood. I figured I would save my free drink for tomorrow.
When I left the Cathedral, I made my way to Posvar. When I arrived into the building, it looked so damn old. I went to the bathroom first, and saw that my period had arrived, a week early! I wasn’t prepared, thankfully it was light. I walked out of the bathroom and sat down on some couches, and ate my blueberry muffin and chugged my caramel macchiato. I am not really all that nervous, just ready to do this. I called Andrew’s mom and she and I talked for bit, before my interview. She gave me some words of wisdom, and I love her for it.
Around 15 minutes to 10am, I went the escalator. My interview was in the Department of Sociology on the 2nd floor. I looked around and was a bit confused at first. I thought maybe the escalators were like CCAC in the Northside, they only took you up every other floor. I did see the sign did say, second floor. So I knew I was in the right area. I walked around a bit, following the number sequence on the rooms until, I saw 2400 Department of Sociology. I walked in and there wasn’t a receptionist at the desk. I took a step further, and saw someone in her office. She looked up and said, “You must be Danielle.” I said, “Yes, I am.” She introduced herself. Her name is Phyllis. She told me that we were waiting on Nancy, and Linda to arrive, so if I just wanted to hang out, and we can chit chat, until they arrive. I had some time to relax, and chat which as nice. Then, Nancy walked in and she shook my hand, and said, “I knew you were going to arrive, right when I left to go outside for a minute.” I smiled. She opened the door, and we took a seat in the chair’s conference room.

After some time, of kibitzing and learning about the department,; then Linda arrived, I stood up, and shook her hand. That is when the interview got underway. Nancy asked me most of the questions. Tell me about a time, where you had to do deal with this? And etc. typical behavioral questions. I felt very confident in my answers. Nancy said she used to temp around too, until she found a full-time job, and could emphasize with me. I was glad to hear that she was in my shoes at one point. Too many people forget where they came from, once they get settled in their careers.
At the end of the interview, Linda asked me if I had any questions, and I asked her, when they might be able to make their decision. She said, well hopefully we will know this afternoon. We have one more person after you, then we will have to check references, and the Dean will have to approve, as well as the Provost. Hopefully, in two weeks’ time, you will have an answer. I smiled and thanked her for her time. I know how slow academia works. The waiting game begins now. I was glad there was only one other person.
When I left the conference room, I walked to the music department. I called Drew on my way out of Posvar, and told him about the interview. He was happy to hear it went well, and is hoping I hear something soon. I hope so, as well. When I got off the phone with him, I called my mom, and she and I talked about the interview, and was glad that it went well.
When I walked into music, I waved to Matt, but made my way into Paula’s office, she gave me a hug and was glad to see me. I told her how the interview went and she was glad to hear it went well, and asked me about the questions they asked me, etc. I told her and she was glad to hear I had a chance to interview. After I talked to her for a few minutes, I went and said Hi to Frank. He is his usual self. He hopes I get the position. He told me what he was working on and was on his way out to go talk to Paula. Phil was out on summer hiatus, so I couldn’t visit him. I was bummed.
After I left music, I went to the bus stop. I was ready to get home. When I finally got on the bus, it was a packed ride home. People everywhere on the bus. Strange for so early in the afternoon, I thought. When I finally got home, I did some laundry and got ready to go the gym. I wanted to get a quick work out in before the weekend arrived. I had to cut my work out a little short. I had to take back my library books before they closed at 5pm, and I wanted to get home and get dinner ready for Drew.
When Drew got home, we had chicken with bread crumbs and a veggie. It was pretty good. We decided to go to Wal-Mart that night and get the stuff we needed for tomorrow. We were going to have some people over for the Pens Game. When I realized how much were buying, and our situation being what it is. I asked Anthony to bring two bags a chips since he was planning to come over tomorrow. He said, he would. One less thing we would have to buy.
When we finished up at Wal-mart, we had one more stop to make, and that was to Moon Beer and Pop for Less we had to pick up some beer for tomorrow. We decided on a case of Amstel, and a case of Summer Shandy. This place is our weekly spot. The owners now know us. It is so funny. We apparently drink a lot of beer. When we got home, we watched Black Sails, then it was to bed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s